Friday, September 30, 2011

Blue Jays

   On Earth, there are a lot of distinct people and everyone have their own opinion. Many kids and adults would say that they like dogs or cats or even tigers but I, I like birds. I like all types of birds but my favorite specie is the blue jays. I think that blue jays are beautiful with their wings and they are so interesting to watch. I recently have did some research about blue jays and I found a lot of appealing facts about them.
   Some facts that I have learned was that blue jays are known to mimic the sound of hawks notably the red-shouldered hawk. These calls are said to inform other jays that a hawk is present. In some cases, it is used to frighten and deceive other birds into believing that a hawk is around. This hawk sound is usually heard when the blue jays are in search of food and want to get the food of other birds near them. I think that is so smart of them to do. I wonder if other animals mimic the sounds of other animals like that? Also, did you know that the blue jay has been chosen as mascots of various sports groups. An example is Canada's professional baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays. I can relate to this because last year, I was doing a writing for a contest and I couldn't think of a name for a baseball team so I just pick the name The Blue Jay! Another interesting fact that I learn was that its hard to distinguish the male blue jays from the females just by mere observation. They are said to be sexual monomorphic or look exactly the same. This is amazing, I didn't knew that the male and female blue jays could look so much alike!
    To get these interesting facts about the blue jays, I research it online and found this great website, http://www.birdhouses101.com/blue-jay-facts.asp so some of the facts here I got fom this website. I hope you guys have a better understanding of blue jays after readingt this article. If you are curious about anything remember, you can always find out more information by going online, reading a book, or even just reading an article. There are alot of extrodinary animals out there and I am pretty sure that there are some really diverting facts about them. I hope you like my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment